Monday, June 22, 2015

Still Not Over

The pathology report was not what we had hoped. It wasn't just DCIS, although there was some DCIS present- it was about 25% of the tumor. It is still triple negative which means they have no drug therapy to offer me. As a result of that the recommendation decided on by the "tumor board" is: take a lymph node just to be sure the cancer has not spread, do radiation therapy to make sure there isn't a stray cancer cell still in there, and do some form of chemotherapy. I certainly wasn't expecting that.
These are the standard recommendations for anyone with triple negative breast cancer and this is the recommendation they must give me to cover their a****.
They acknowledge that this is not a typical triple negative tumor. It is slow growing; in fact only a third of it seemed to be dividing, there were necrotic (dying) cells in it, all of the margins were clear, and there seemed to be no lymphatic or vascular involvement.
I agreed to meet with a radiologist and an oncologist to hear what they have to say, but I am going to wait until July when Billy can go with me. I seriously doubt I will have any of those treatments, but we will see after I meet with the experts.
God I am so ready for this to be over!

No comments:

Post a Comment