Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Detours

I saw the doctor at the Atlanta clinic 2 weeks ago today. I haven't posted because I have been busy, out of town a lot, and have been unsure about how I feel about the visit.
The doctor and I had a shaky start. I didn't come away from the appointment feeling like I had been heard. We have communicated by e-mail a few times since then, and I feel better about her, but still am not completely convinced she can provide what I need.
She ran quite a few lab tests which I haven't heard the results of. She also helped me figure out a way to have a genetic test for a methylation problem I suspect I may have. There is a website called 23&Me that will send you a kit for a DNA test to discover your heritage, and will also tell you if you are likely to be predisposed to some inherited conditions. They will only go so far with medical information, but another group will take their raw data and give you more specific medical information, including whether or not you have 1 gene with the methylation mutation (as I suspect I may have) or 2 genes with the mutation. I don't have the symptoms of the 2 gene (homozygous) problem. These include a very low tolerance to alcohol and anesthesia, painkillers, etc. I actually seem to have a high tolerance for those. Interestingly the symptoms of the lesser problem (heterozygous or one mutated gene) are the same as the symptoms of yeast overgrowth. These include but aren't limited to; chronic fatigue, fuzzy thinking, poor metabolism, chronic constipation or diarrhea, sensitivities to various foods like gluten, craving sugar or breads, etc. This isn't the complete list- I am writing this from memory. There is a website you can find by googling methylation problem folic acid. That is what one's body can't use properly if this defect is present- folic acid. I won't go into the biochemistry of folic acid and why it is so important but look it up if you are so inclined. Folic acid is a very important nutrient and our bodies must be able to methylate it to use it. Another interesting thing for me is this methylation problem is greatly exacerbated by yeast overgrowth! Also by exposure to heavy metals like Mercury! Mercury exposure also can encourage or facilitate the overgrowth of yeast! It is weird to keep coming across these looping symptoms. It makes me feel confident I am on the right track.
I am waiting to hear back from the DNA test but I believe it could take a few weeks. By the way, the cost for the DNA test is $99.00. The kit they send requires you to send in a sample of your saliva. Easy to follow directions.
The doctor in Atlanta did an energy scan based on Chinese medicine. It measured the chi or energy flow to each organ. Not surprisingly it showed a deficiency in the flow of energy to my liver, my large intestine, as well as my spleen and lungs. There were lots of other problems noted but I don't understand a lot of it yet. I took it to my acupuncturist and she is treating me.
One other big change came from my visit to Atlanta. The doctor gave me some information on adopting a ketogenic diet to starve the yeast as well as any lingering cancer cells. You probably won't remember, but in an earlier post I mentioned that my chiropractor had suggested the same thing to me back in the Spring after I was first diagnosed. After some careful study I have decided to give it a try now. I am convinced that resolving the yeast overgrowth is essential to my healing and, in spite of everything I have been doing, there is strong evidence that the yeast is still thriving.
Again, for the sake of brevity (I hear you laughing), I won't go deeply into the ketogenic diet, but will summarize for you. On this diet your body burns healthy fats and protein for energy rather than carbohydrates. Yeast and cancer cells are both obligate glucose users. This means they can only survive on sugars. Our normal cells can use fats and protein for energy but will only do so when carbohydrates (sugars) are not present. To determine if fats and proteins are being used for energy, one must check the urine for the presence of ketones. That is where the name comes from. After carefully exploring the diet, I realized it is in fact not much different than what I was doing. I simply needed to cut out most of the fruit I was eating and add some more protein ( for me eggs and a little organic meat and raw milk cheese) and some healthy fat in the form of avocados, flax seed oil, coconut oil and butter, olive oil, etc. I have to say I am also eating a bit more cooked food. Stir fries, roasted vegetables, and eggs never tasted so good!
One of the most interesting things about this diet is it tends to normalize one's weight. One will either gain or lose weight as needed.
I had another filling replaced last week. I only have one left to go! Then I need to decide about replacing a crown that has some Mercury under it, and a bridge that is composed of mostly nickel, which is on the list of materials I should avoid. Again, can you hear the sound of money- ch-Ching ch-Ching? (Not sure why my iPad wanted to capitalize the chings.)
I am horrified to see typos in earlier posts. Sorry! That is really not like me at all, perfectionist that I am. I suspect at least some of them are the fault of predictive text. I try to proof as I go because I once completely lost a long post trying to go back and change a mistake. I am unfortunately still on the learning curve for this format. Please bear with me.
Let me say here, before I close, that I would be happy for any of you to share this blog with anyone who might benefit from the information presented. I do not claim to be a physician. I do not recommend that anyone follow any certain protocols for treating disease. This is just what I titled this blog and nothing more; my journey through breast cancer my way.
Thank you and God bless you one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment